Party Wall Agreement Rear Extension

A party wall is a wall that is part of your building and is on the border between your country and the country of the adjacent owner. The wall can be part of a building or two or more separate buildings. A wall will also be a party wall if it is entirely on your land and the adjacent owner has a building surrounded by the same wall. A wall built entirely on your land is not a party wall. The walls of one owner`s land used by other owners (2 or more) to separate their buildings are also party walls. You will also often find clauses in party wall agreements regarding a Hit and Miss Bays section. This clause requires that the foundations be dug into 1 m of sequential tube and miss bays to ensure that there are not two bays open side by side at the same time. The advantage of this clause is that it significantly reduces the risk of structural movement on the adjacent owner`s land. You should inform your neighbours if you wish to carry out work nearby or at your common border or “party wall” in England and Wales. A party fence wall is a wall that sits on the border, but has no buildings attached to it, such as a garden wall. Another point to consider when making extensions is that if you (the owner of the building) propose to build a new wall to or along the junction, commonly known as the border, then Section 1 of the Party Wall etc Act 1996 would apply and you will need to provide the adjacent owner with a Party Wall Notice stating your intention for this type of work. The law also provides for the provisions of Article 6 for “adjacent searches”.

This section states that if you intend to dig up at certain depths at certain distances from your neighbors` buildings or structures, you must notify them and obtain an agreement. Their neighbors can claim compensation if they can prove that they suffered a loss as a result of the work, which could even require the removal of the work. The same applies if you have a party contract with your neighbors, but you do not respect the agreed conditions. Notification of termination may be made free of charge using appropriate standard forms or a surveyor of the wall of the party for a flat fee. A confirmation letter for the neighbor to fill out and return is usually included. Very often, rear extensions are excavations of foundations, which falls within the definition of works subject to declaration under the Party Wall etc Act 1996 (see below for the figure of works subject to declaration). An owner must announce construction work that concerns a wall or party border two months in writing or one month in advance for excavations. If the adjacent owner asks you to perform additional work during the planned work on an existing party wall or agrees to the construction of a new party wall, the adjacent owner may be required to contribute to the costs of the work. The wall of the party, etc. The 1996 Act applies only to England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland rely on customary law, not legislation, to settle disputes over the party wall.

Neighboring owners can negotiate to allow the work – and access can be forced by the courts if necessary. Related Instructions: Loft Conversion: Where to Start? Home Extension: Where to start? Step-by-Step Guide to DIY Contracts: Protecting Your Money How to Find the Best Craftsman for Your Job: Top Tips Do I Need a Building Permit? How do I find an architect? The surveyor of the party wall can solve any matter related to the works and which is controversial between you and the adjacent owner. The decision of the party`s wardrobe is called a distinction. If they give written consent during this period, you do not need a surveyor of the party and the work can continue.. . .